WATERMELON COCKTAIL RECIPE WITH LUXARDO AND PISCO
First of all, I´m not a mixologist or cocktail expert but sometimes I like to play with drinks too. So this watermelon cocktail recipe maybe is not a proper cocktail recipe as it´s not innovative or different; it´s just a mix of things I like and that I thought would be nice together. And it worked!
Also, the idea to put them together came from 2 different directions:
- One: I had to use the large watermelon I bought. Right? Watermelons are always big even if we buy only a piece/slice. So I was eating the watermelon as a dessert and snack between meals, I made a salad with watermelon… and then I thought to make a smoothie, juice it… and a cocktail. After all, the weather was glorious and was asking for a summer drink in the sun. And the watermelon was sweet and delicious.
- Second: when it´s hot I like a drink we tried years ago at Hotel du Vin in Cambridge, made with Luxardo and tonic, kind of G&T but sweeter. They used it as a palate cleanser between cocktails/drinks but we fall in love with the combination and did it at home in summer instead of the classic G&T. With this cocktail in mind, I thought the watermelon could work very well with the Luxardo sweetness. Then I add a bit of pisco to balance with some citrus notes.
So, I played a bit with quantities and liquors. Actually, I added a bit of cognac in the first version. Although I like cognac cocktails, in this case, the end was too strong and alcoholic from my point of view, and the watermelon flavour vanished. So, I kept it simpler and the result was this recipe that I think it´s very refreshing, slightly sweet but not heavy in alcohol, and fruity.
If you don´t like watermelon, you can substitute it for another fruit juice.
I hope you enjoy this watermelon cocktail recipe!
Watermelon Cocktail Recipe
- Food processor
- Chopping board
- Cocktail glass
- Jigger or shot glass
- Spoon to mix
- 400 ml watermelon juice
- 50 ml Luxardo liquor
- 25 ml pisco
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- cherry bitter
- ground black pepper
- Cut 2 large slices of watermelon, remove the skin and any white rind. Also, take off any seeds and chop the flesh.
- Blend the pulp in a juice or hand blender. The fruit is very juicy so you don't need to add water or any other liquid. Add a few drops of lemon juice and a pinch of ground black pepper and stir.
- Transfer the juice to a large, tall glass. Add the luxardo liquor and the pisco to the juice and stir.
- In a cocktail glass, put some ice and pour the mixture cocktail and a few drops of cherry bitter. Decorate with a piece of wstermelon200 and lemon. If you have some mint, it will give a nice fragrant touch.