This Tortilla Campera or Campera Omelete recipe is a version of the classic Spanish Omelette (Tortilla de Patatas) with vegetables. It is a nourishing and delicious omelette, perfect for dinner with a salad or for a picnic. And it is wonderful for a leftover lunch next day! So keep a portion of it for your lunch box!
Recipe of Tortilla Campera
(for 8 generous portions or 12 a bit smaller)
- 1 kg potatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 onions
- 1 leek
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 6 eggs (size L
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Step by step
- Chop finely the vegetables.
- Peel the potatoes, slice and season with salt.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a frying pan and, in medium heat, sweat the vegetables until they are soft. Keep them aside in a bowl.
- Clean the frying pan with kitchen paper. Then add two tablespoons of olive oil and fry the potatoes in low heat.
- Once the potatoes are cooking, beat the eggs in a big bowl and season with a pinch of salt. Once the potatoes are soft, mix them with the vegetables and the eggs and stir.
- Baste slightly a 24 cm diameter frying pan with olive oil and warm it up in high heat. Pour the mixture and cook for a few minutes until the omelette set.
- Flip it over using a plate and cook for a few minutes on the other side. Serve with a salad or a slice of sourdough bread.
I served this omelette for the first Sunday Tapas Lunch at Cambridge Wine Merchants and people loved it!
Wine pairing for a Tortilla Campera
The pairing wine suggested for the Tortilla Campera was a Lopez de Haro 2015, from La Rioja.
With a blend of Tempranillo, Grenache and Graciano, this lovely wine is produced in an area located on the slopes of San Vicente de la Sonsierra, in the North of La Rioja, close to the border with the Basque Country, known as “Rioja alavesa”.
It is gently rounded, delightful and expressive. The wine undergoes the classic Rioja ageing period of 18 months with 50% French oak and 50% American oak. This beautiful cherry red wine has delicate ripe red fruit aromas. It’s a beautifully smooth and expressive wine and well balanced.
It will make a very pleasant accompaniment to the tortilla campera because it is very easy to drink smooth wine.