Spiced nutmeg smoothie, a good option for breakfast
This spiced nutmeg smoothie was a real find when I did it for the first time. It´s a great option for breakfast in summer, for example as it´s rich and nutritious. It can be a good drink as a snack between meals too.
Anyway, as I said, it was a kind of revelation when I mixed the ingredients for the first time. I have to say that I am not a fan of sweet things (except a square of dark chocolate after dinner) and I love nutmeg so this smoothie was a real find. It is nourishing, not very sweet, filling but not heavy… so it ticked many boxes at the same time. The nutmeg gives the smoothie a special aromatic touch but if you don´t like it, don´t add it.
Nourishing nutmeg smoothie
It is a rich and really nourishing smoothie that can be a great addition to your daily meal plan as it´s a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The bananas are an amazing source of energy and fiber for our body. The oat is a cereal that helps us to reduce cholesterol levels and provide our body with vitamins and minerals like iron and potassium. The raisins are an antioxidant fruit, full of fiber and vitamins. The nutmeg helps the digestion and appetite and gives a touch of spice. The amount of sugar is small and can be even less if you don´t add the honey, for example, and keep the sweetness from just the natural sources like the banana and the raisins.
It´s tasty and surprisingly different that for those that don´t have a sweet tooth like me, it´s a wonderful option.
(If you are looking for new smoothies, check as well this recipe with apricot, kumquat and rasperries. Very fragrant and full of flavours).
Spiced nutmeg smoothie
- Blender or food processor
- 1 banana
- 2 tbs oats
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbs raisins
- 250 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 100 ml low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- In a bowl, soak the oats in the skimmed milk until the grain is soft. Around 15 minutes maximum.
- Put the banana, the yogurt, the raisins, the grated nutmeg, and the soak oats with the milk in the blender in smoothie preset and blend.
- Add the honey and freshly grated nutmeg to your taste. Add a little bit of water and ice and blend again until getting a smooth texture.
- Serve in a cold glass and sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg on top.