Roasted apricots, Iberico ham, and cottage cheese recipe
This roasted apricots, Iberico ham and cottage cheese recipe are ideal for a summer party and an amazing and super tasty way to make the most of seasonal products. It can be perfect as a starter in a toast or individually as finger food -kind of tapa or pintxo- if you make them small.
If you are planning a barbecue, include this recipe in your menu! Fire is not only for burgers, hotdogs, or steaks! The vegetables, of course, are great on the grill AND THE FRUIT TOO! So make the most of the fire and roast some apricots! It will add a smoky end to the fruit that combines very well with the sweetness, the saltiness of the ham and the creaminess of the cheese.👩🏻🍳👨🏻🍳 If you are not barbecuing, you can grill the apricots in a cast-iron pan over high heat in the stove. The same with the bread, toast it on the fire or, if you are indoors, use the grill of the oven or a toaster.
The recipe is for 6 people, and if you are doing small bites, like tapa or pintxo size (check this post about the difference), each guest will have 2 portions.
Iberico o serrano ham?
If you don´t have (or don´t want) to use Iberico ham, you can use serrano ham instead. Iberico is the best and will give an amazing and personal flavour to the tapa, but it´s expensive, I know. My recommendation, if you opt for serrano, try to buy a good one. The price is not the same as Iberico, much more affordable, but at least a quality serrano ham will give a good flavour too. Also, try some Iberico ham “de cebo” 50%, it´s more affordable and the taste is almost like the Iberico “bellota” 100%.
Roasted apricots, Iberico ham and cottage cheese recipe
- Barbecue or cast iron pan
- Toaster if you are not using the barbecue
- 6 apricots
- 120 g Iberico ham or serrano ham
- 120 g cottage cheese
- 12 pieces sourdough bread
- black pepper
- Cut the apricots in halves and take the stone out. You can add a bit of brown sugar to each half of the apricot. I didn’t do it as mine were ripe and sweet and they didn’t need any extra sweetness.
- If you are roasting the apricots in the barbecue, use the edges of the grill to roast them. If you are not doing it in the grill, you can use a cast iron pan in high heat on the stove.
- Grill the apricots, cut side down, for about a minute until you see the marks of the grill.
- Slice the sourdough bread and cut each slice in half. Toast it in the barbecue or in a toaster.
- Put around 10 g of Iberico ham (if you don’t have Iberico, a good serrano ham works perfectly too) over the warm bread. The heat will melt the ham and brings all the flavours to the bread. On top, set a halve of grilled apricot. On the cut side up, put a dollop of cottage cheese. Dress it with a pinch of salt, black pepper, and some cress.