Hake stew recipe
A delight stew with hake and shellfish
You can listen to the recipe at Flavour 105 with the Tom Lewis The Cambridge wine blogger‘s wine and sherry recommendations.
Ingredients (4 people)
- 400 gr. Hake (4 portions)
- 650 gr. mussels
- 8 small squid
- 10 prawns
- 1 tomato
- 1 green pepper
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small glass of brandy
- Fish stock
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small chilli
Step by step
- Boil the hake’s bones and prawn shells to cook a stock.
- Wash the mussels, scratching the shell and remove any dirt.
- In a pan, pour part of the fish stock and put the mussels. Cover the pan until mussels open up. (Discard any mussels which are not open)
- Set mussels aside and take the shell off.
- Wash the squid and fry them in a frying pan with a bit of extra virgin olive oil.
- With kitchen roll, dry the hake.
- Season with salt and batter with flour.
- In a frying pan, pour a little extra virgin olive oil and stir-fry the hake on a high heat. Leave it aside.
- Chop the green pepper, onion, tomato and garlic.
- In a low pan, pour a gentle glug of extra virgin olive oil and simmer the garlic. Add the peppers, onion and tomato. Fry them slowly on a low heat until blanch.
- Add the mussels and squid and stir.
- Put the hake on top.
- Add the chilli.
- Sprinkle the brandy and let it come to the boil.
- Pour the fish stock until the liquid cover the fish.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Enjoy! ¡Buen provecho!