Garden peas and beans salad with avocado dressing: a herby and fresh summer salad
This garden peas and beans salad with avocado dressing is going to give you joy this summer. If you are looking for something nutritious but fresh and packed with flavour, this is the summer salad you have to try.
It´s a complete recipe, with legumes, vegetables, and herbs. Perfect!
Think of the use of legumes in this salad, it´s a wonderful way to eat pulses in summer when we don´t feel like having a stew or other more wintery dishes. However, it´s not a heavy dish as the recipe balances very well the proportion of vegetables and legumes. Also, it´s very fresh with the herbs and the creamy dressing.
This recipe of garden peas and beans with avocado dressing is a variation of a similar recipe from the magazine Fine Cooking. I made a few variations to use the ingredients I had at home. So, the original recipe uses edamame instead of garden peas. The pulse in the original recipe was pink beans, apparently popular in the Caribbean. I didn´t waste my time trying to find those beans, to be honest. I just used pinto beans I had in my pantry. And I added tamarind sauce to the dressing to give it a sweet-sour taste and enhance the citrus flavour.
I think that´s the beauty of these summer salads, you can make variations, adapt the recipe to your taste and to the ingredients that you have at home, and the result will be good too.
AND, this recipe is super quick and very comforting as a lunch or as a side for a tapas meal.
Have a go and let me know what you think. Maybe you make your own version. Let me know in the comments below.
Garden peas and beans salad with avocado dressing
- Food processor
- Chopping board
- 200 g garden peas
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 50 g baby spinach
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 3 tsp tamarind sauce
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot with boiling water, cook the frozen garden peas for 5 minutes. Then, transfer to a bowl with cold water and ice. Let them cool down.
- Meanwhile, dice the red pepper in a half-centimeter size. Chop the fresh chives. Put the vegetables in a bowl.
- Drain the pinto beans can and rinse them. Add them to the vegetables and mix.
- Once the garden peas are cold, drain them and add to the bowl with the vegetables and the beans.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the spinach, avocado, lemon juice, water, tamarind sauce, olive oil, salt, pepper, an. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the dressing to the bean mixture and stir to coat.
- Keep in the fridge until serving. Better to serve cold or at room temperature.