A classic tapa with a pinch of luxury
Broken eggs (huevos rotos) are truly delicious themselves. If you add black truffle, the result is a morsel for the gods
Tapas recipes you can make at home. This broken eggs with black truffle (tuber melanosporum) is a morsel for the gods. Broken eggs, huevos rotos in Spanish, is a classic tapa you can find in many places. In my region, Aragón, they are one of the dishes we always have to order when we go out for tapas. You can find them in different ways: the potatoes can be sliced or cut in strips; the eggs can be fried on top of them, os mixed; you can add ham, chorizo, foie… or black truffle!
Here it´s my recipe for broken eggs or huevos rotos with truffle. If you don´t have a black truffle, don´t worry, try them without and you will enjoy one of the most simple, humble and delicious dishes from Spain.
For 2 portions
- 2 baking potatoes
- 2 eggs
- Extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil
- Black truffle (tuber melanosporum)
STEP BY STEP
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. Dry with kitchen paper and cut them. I like to slice them rather than making strips like chips so when they are cooked, they are soft inside and crispy outside. Slice the potatoes like half centimeter thick.
- In a deep frying pan, pour a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil (or sunflower oil) in medium heat. Put the potatoes when the oil is warm, stir, season with salt and cover with a lid. Stir now and then to spread the heat evenly.
- When the potatoes start to be soft (but not completely done), remove the lid and turn the heat up to fry the surface.
- Meanwhile, have the frying pan for the eggs ready because as soon as the potatoes are ready, you have to do the eggs quickly. So, in high heat, pour extra virgin olive oil in a small frying pan (better non-stick).
- When the potatoes are soft, pour them in the bowl.
- As the oil in the small frying pan will be ready (hot but not burnt or smoking), break the eggs carefully and frying them. With a spoon, pour some hot oil on top of the yolk. As soon as the white is cooked, remove the eggs and transfer to the bowl with the potatoes.
- With a fork and knife, break the eggs and mix well with the potatoes.
- Use a round cutter to plate up the mixture individually.
- Grate some black truffle on top.