Huevos rotos or broken eggs is one of my favourite dishes. It´s a very common dish that you can find in many taverns and bares when you go out for tapas in Spain.
The way the huevos rotos are presented depends on the chef. They can be served with a bed of potatoes and the eggs on top so you have to cut and mix before eating. Or, like in my favourite tapas bar in my home city, served already mixed and shaped like in the picture. So, yes, I copied their style as I think it looks attractive and more appealing (although the result in terms of flavours is the same, I can guarantee).
The recipe is very simple, it´s just the way you have to cook the potatoes and the eggs to end up with a creamy and moist mixture.
You have on my blog the recipe of broken eggs with truffle but the method is the same.
The pictures show the step by step. I hope it helps.
Ingredients for 4 people (4 portions)
- 4 baking potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 100 ml sunflower oil or pure olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley
- Peel the potatoes and wash them. Dry with kitchen paper and cut them. I like to slice them rather than making strips like chips so when they are cooked, they are soft inside and crispy outside. Slice the potatoes like half centimeter thick.
- In a deep frying pan, pour a generous glug of extra virgin olive oil (or sunflower oil) in medium heat. Put the potatoes when the oil is warm, stir, season with salt and cover with a lid. Stir now and then to spread the heat evenly.
- When the potatoes start to be soft (but not completely done), remove the lid and turn the heat up to fry the surface.
- When the potatoes are soft, pour them in the bowl.
- Meanwhile, have the frying pan for the eggs ready because as soon as the potatoes are ready, you have to do the eggs quickly. So, in high heat, pour extra virgin olive oil in a small frying pan (better non-stick).
- As the oil in the small frying pan will be ready (hot but not burnt or smoking), break the eggs carefully and frying them. With a spoon, pour some hot oil on top of the yolk. As soon as the white is cooked, remove the eggs and transfer to the bowl with the potatoes.
- With a fork and knife, break the eggs and mix well with the potatoes.
- Use a round cutter to plate up the mixture individually.